Magnesium – the wonder mineral
Magnesium is the fourth most abundant mineral in the human body. It plays many important roles in the health of your body and brain. However, you may not be getting enough of it, even if you eat a healthy diet.
Every cell in your body contains Magnesium and needs it to function. In fact, it’s involved in more than 600 reactions in your body, including:
- Energy creation:Helps convert food into energy.
- Muscle movements:Is part of the contraction and relaxation of muscles.
Nervous system regulation:Helps regulate neurotransmitters, which send messages throughout your brain and nervous system.
Here are some proven benefits of increased Magnesium intake:
- It May Boost Exercise Performance - Supplementing with Magnesium can boost exercise performance for athletes, the elderly and people with chronic disease
- Magnesium has been shown to help fight inflammation.
- Magnesium Can Help Prevent Migraines - People with frequent migraines may have low magnesium levels. Some studies show that supplementing with this mineral can provide relief from migraines.
- Magnesium Improves PMS Symptoms - magnesium has been shown to improve mood, reduce water retention and other symptoms in women with PMS
- Magnesium Fights Depression - Magnesium plays a critical role in brain function and mood, and supplementing with it can reduce symptoms of depression in some people.
- It has Benefits Against Type 2 Diabetes - Magnesium supplements have been shown to lower blood sugar in some people.
- Magnesium Can Lower Blood Pressure
The following foods are good sources of magnesium:
- Pumpkin seeds, cashews and almonds
- Spinach, black beans and quinoa
- Dark chocolate
Supplement forms that are absorbed well include magnesium citrate, glycinate, orotate and carbonate. Magnesium sulphate and oxide are not as well absorbed and can have a laxative effect.
If you have a medical condition, check with your doctor before taking magnesium supplements.
Though these are generally well-tolerated, they may not be safe for people who take certain diuretics, heart medications or antibiotics.
Go Healthy Magnesium 1-A-Day 500mg
Sourced from seawater, this natural marine Magnesium contains no Magnesium oxide, giving it superior absorption as well as being gentle on the digestive tract.